Re: Installing on large disks

From: Darryl Okahata <darrylo_at_soco.agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:33:23 -0700
"Willem Jan Withagen" <wjw_at_withagen.nl> wrote:

> >      Yes, but this MBR boot sector understands how to locate and load
> > the boot code "at the far end of the disk", if packet mode is enabled
> > (and if your motherboard BIOS supports packet mode, which most modern
> > motherboards should).
>
> But MBR is where things like booteasy and grub also live??
> So that functionality is lost. Or is boot0 called by booteasy/grub?

     I believe boot0 *IS* booteasy.  If you have booteasy installed, you
have boot0 installed in the MBR (they are the same thing, I believe).
In all probability, if you have booteasy installed, you only need to run
"boot0cfg -o packet ad0" to set the bit in the MBR that tells
boot0/booteasy to use packet mode when accessing the disk.  Once you've
done that, you should be able to boot from the FreeBSD partitions
installed beyond the 8GB limit.

> And it is not very clear to me that this would allow me to boot
> win 2k and/or win 64XP.

     You do realize that both of these can blow away the MBR and replace
it with Microsoft software?  You might want to use Windows to load
FreeBSD, instead:

	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NT-BOOTLOADER

(However, I don't know if this will work with more than one bootable
FreeBSD installation on the same drive.)

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo_at_soco.agilent.com