Re: lockups

From: Jason King <jasonking_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:24:14 -0500
John Baldwin wrote:

>On Thursday 13 May 2004 11:35 pm, Jason King wrote:
>

>>I'm having some problems with -CURRENT locking up, I'm hoping maybe
>>someone will have some suggestions.
>>
>>Symptoms:
>>
>>(This is both on 5.2.1-CURRENT as well as booting off the 5.2.1-RELEASE
>>cdrom)
>>
>>During normal boot, kernel freezes before it even starts init.
>>Ctrl-Alt-Delete does not work, power button must be used to reboot.
>>
>>boot -v reveals 'Interrupt storm on "dc0"; throttling interrupt
>>source'.  Thinking it might be a bad network card (though it works fine
>>in XP and worked fine when I had 5.1-RELEASE installed), I removed the
>>card, and I got the same error, just on a different device (pcm0).
>>

>Ok, this would explain the slow boot w/o ACPI as well if interrupts are not
>routed correctly.  Does the machine boot ok if you do 'set
>hint.apic.0.disabled=1' from the boot loader?

That worked (thanks).  Going further, I've found that just doing 'set
hw.apic.mixed_mode=0' at the boot loader without changing any other
settings also prevents the lockups.

Based on this, I have a few more questions. The biggest one is is there
anything else that can be done to further narrow down the cause?  I've
read the blurb in src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES, and it suggests that the
kernel is possibly getting incorrect information (i.e. enabling mixed
mode when it shouldn't).  Is there a straightforward way to determine
what information the kernel is using? Is it necessairly a bad thing that
mixed mode has to be disabled?