Re: fsck in -current

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:30:40 -0500
In the last episode (May 16), Michael Hamburg said:
> On May 15, 2004, at 10:41 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >>Yes.  You can probably renice it or something, though, and it
> >>wouldn't take that much longer.

Fsck takes very little CPU; it's almost all disk I/O, and bgfsck tries
to throttle its load if it thinks that there's too much disk load.

> You don't need much space unless you have high turnover -- the
> default extra space in FFS that you can't allocate anyway should be
> plenty, but as far as I can tell, if you do run out of space, Very
> Bad Things Happen (tm).  Just what those Very Bad Things are probably
> depends on the release.

The only Vary Bad Thing that I've ever seen happen is processes start
returning ENOSPC even though df claims there's lots to spare.  As soon
as the fsck finishes you get your space back.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com