Re: hostap TX fix in 5.x [Fwd: Re: wi hostap speed]

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 08:42:52 -0700
On Monday 17 May 2004 04:38 am, Scott Pilz wrote:

> 	Who normally works on the wi driver? "frmhdr.wi_tx_rate = 110"
> works great (thanks James) but I am unable to find the syntax/variable
> where the current TX-RATE is stored. A simple if tx-rate=11 {
> frmhdr.wi_tx_rate = 110; } would keep auto-fallback working. Currently the
> system works great (I seen as far as 600KB/sec last night during testing)
> but when the signal drops and the driver tries for 5.5 or 2, packets are
> lost. I recall in earlier releases of 5.x there was a 'DataRate' display
> on 'wicontrol -l', however in CURRENT this seems to be missing.

In the past Warner and I have worked on the driver but neither has time and
noone else has stepped up.  It sounds like you've locked the xmit rate to a
fixed value instead of allowing the firmware to select the "best rate."  This
sounds as though something else is set wrong to make the best rate operation
not work right.

FWIW netbsd uses an adaptive rate control algorithm to select the xmit rate.
Reports are that this algorithm does a better job than the firmware algorithm
for choosing xmit rate when operating in hostap mode.

	Sam