Re: bind timeouts

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 01:37:53 -0500
On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 08:14:04AM +0200 I heard the voice of
Christian Hiris, and lo! it spake thus:

> As far as i know MX records _must_ have an A record.

RFC1035 states:
    MX records cause type A additional section processing for the host
    specified by EXCHANGE.  The use of MX RRs is explained in detail
    in [RFC-974].

RFC974 says:
    There is one other special case.  If the response contains an
    answer which is a CNAME RR, it indicates that REMOTE is actually
    an alias for some other domain name. The query should be repeated
    with the canonical domain name.

RFC2821 obsoletes 974, but says substantially the same in regards to
CNAME's.  So, by the RFC's it's allowed.

For me, I think it's a bad practice.  But, hey...

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net