Re: Lockups with Intel ICH5 SATA

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 18:52:54 +0200
On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:40:46 +0100
Tony Byrne <freebsd-current_at_byrnehq.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In recent weeks my FreeBSD current box has been experiencing frequent
> hard lockups.  Seldom a day goes by without the machine freezing
> solid.  My hunch is that this is somehow related to the onboard Intel
> ICH5 controller and SATA HD, because during reboot after a lockup,
> the machine often complain of a DMA timeout that hangs the box
> while reading from the SATA drive.
>
> I have seen some FreeBSD-Current mails that mention issues
> with with this controller and with SATA in general, so before I go
> chasing other causes I was wondering if someone could tell me whether
> there are open issues that could be the likely cause of these lockups.

I've seen no lookups recently, and the system in question did make some
"make universe" in the last days.

Are you sure the drives are cooled enough? I've seen lookups because of
this.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           I'm available to get hired (preferred in .lu).

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net