GEOM portable filesystem abstraction?

From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse_at_wingnet.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 14:44:06 -0400
Hello,

I know next to nothing about GEOM, other than what
the man page says (which I admittedly didn't read
in full), so I'm probably totally off base, but I
thought I'd ask this anyway:

It seems like GEOM functions as a bit of a disk
abstraction layer in FreeBSD. Would it be possible
to port the GEOM subsystem as a loadable kernel
module to Linux (and perhaps other OSes) to
facilitate pluggable, portable filesystem code?

I'm constantly frustrated by the fact that Linux and
BSD are OPEN SOURCE OSes, but they *still* can't
write each other's file systems any better than they
can write the reverse engineered NTFS filesystem.
Perhaps if GEOM were ported to Linux then Linux
could use FreeBSD's UFS2 code to read FreeBSD UFS
filesystems? Perhaps a windows and MacOSX GEOM kernel
module could follow?

Is that entirely too far fetched?

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator