Re: Errata emails

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:32:16 -0700
Nicholas Bernstein wrote:

> I was wondering if someone could point me to the mailing list, assuming
> there is one, where errata announcements are made. I'm thinking "new
> patch for $program released today" type emails. Is something like this
> available?

There's a full listing of the various project mailing
lists at:  http://www.freebsd.org/
Under "Support", click on "Mailing Lists", then "Mailing Lists".
You can then look at the charter for any of the mailing
lists and pretty quickly get to the archives to see if
it has information of interest to you.

A few that you may want to look into, depending on what
type of information you're interested in:

freebsd-announce:  Major announcements about FreeBSD, including
    notice of new releases.

freebsd-security-notifications:  Security notices about
    recently-fixed critical issues with FreeBSD.  In my
    opinion, every FreeBSD user should subscribe to this.

cvs-all:  Every change made to the FreeBSD source code.
    Note that on a typical day, dozens of patches get
    committed to various FreeBSD programs.  Whether or
    not a particular patch is of interest to you is
    a different matter, of course.

There are also the weekly source code summaries posted
to freebsd-current and also available at:
      http://www.xl0.org/FreeBSD/

And, of course, there are the freebsd-current and
freebsd-stable discussion lists.  If you're using
FreeBSD-CURRENT or FreeBSD-STABLE (as opposed to one
of the "official releases") it is highly recommended
that you subscribe to one of these.  Lower volume
than -questions, and it's where a lot of "heads up"
announcements are posted by the developers about
major changes.

Tim Kientzle