Re: GEOM portable filesystem abstraction?

From: Jesse Guardiani <jesse_at_wingnet.net>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:08:29 -0400
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <c8iu9o$jd9$1_at_sea.gmane.org>, Jesse Guardiani writes:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I know next to nothing about GEOM, other than what
>>the man page says (which I admittedly didn't read
>>in full), so I'm probably totally off base, but I
>>thought I'd ask this anyway:
>>
>>It seems like GEOM functions as a bit of a disk
>>abstraction layer in FreeBSD. Would it be possible
>>to port the GEOM subsystem as a loadable kernel
>>module to Linux (and perhaps other OSes) to
>>facilitate pluggable, portable filesystem code?
>
> Port it: yes.
>
> Portable filesystem code: no.
>
>>Perhaps if GEOM were ported to Linux then Linux
>>could use FreeBSD's UFS2 code to read FreeBSD UFS
>>filesystems?
>
> No, for that you need to port the UFS code from freebsd.
>
> GEOM operates at the sector level and does things like
> mirror, stripe, RAID etc, but it sits under the filesystem
> and doesn't know anything about files, directories etc.

Hmmm... I don't know enough about how GEOM interacts with
the kernel to brain storm further.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that anyone should
write another abstraction layer and then port UFS to it
and force everyone to use this slower version of the UFS
filesystem by default. I'm simply suggesting that it might
be useful (for things like portable devices or dual boot
machines) to be capable of using a slightly slower filesystem
that can be compiled as a loadable kernel module on multiple
architectures and operating systems.

I'd personally take the speed hit gladly if I *knew* that
I could put a version of FreeBSD's GBDE encrypted filesystem
on my 32gig 2.5" external USB 2.0/firewire hard disk and
read/write it successfully under Windows, MacOSX, Linux,
FreeBSD, etc...

FAT32 does this already, but without the encryption, and
without the reliability, scalability, speed, or durability
of a real modern filesystem. I can't even really fsck FAT32
from FreeBSD, much less defrag it.

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,