Re: resolver problem with Opera

From: Karel J. Bosschaart <karelj_at_kayjay.xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 13:09:38 +0200
On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 03:38:53PM -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Sat, 22 May 2004, Karel J. Bosschaart wrote:
>
> > The strange thing is that the same Opera version on -stable *does*
> > check the /etc/hosts first. If I remove /etc/resolv.conf on the -current
> > machine Opera checks /etc/hosts and resolves the name correctly but
> > that's obviously not a good solution.
> >

> What do /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/host.conf look like on the affected
> system?

They are not present. Adding host.conf solved the problem! Although
I found a reference to nsswitch.conf in the Opera binary, it seems to
be ignored: I do have an nsswitch.conf now, generated at boot time from
host.conf, but removing the host.conf makes Opera behave the old way.

Out of curiosity I looked up /etc/host.conf in the CVS repository and
noticed that this file is removed on -current, which is the reason I
didn't have it (a boot message is warning now that it is no longer
used).

Anyway, Opera works now the way I want it.

Thanks a lot!
Karel.