Re: CDRW causes Thinkpad T41 to panic

From: Joachim Strömbergson <watchman_at_ludd.luth.se>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 20:04:18 +0200
Aloha!

Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Kent Hauser wrote:
>
>> I'm running 5/24/04 -CURRENT (GENERIC kernel) which fails to boot
>> when the CD-RW/DVD is installed. The panic comes after ad0 is probed,
>> then a "Spurious interrupt ATA1-SLAVE" (or similar) message is
>> printed, then the kernel drops into the debugger.
>
> Is your CD/DVD drive the only device on the second ATA channel?  Try
> rejumpering it to be a master rather than a slave and see whether that
> helps.

I'm seeing the same problems on the same version of CURRENT on my Athlon
machine. I firtst get an interrupt storm message and then a similar
message to what Kent saw.

I've tried to change the CDRW from master to slave and even removed the
drive (via BIOS). Doing the latter thing removes the message, but the
kernel still hangs.

Booting in safe mode works though.

--
Med vänlig hälsning, Cheers!

Joachim Strömbergson
Joachim Strömbergson - ASIC designer, nice to *cute* animals.
     snail:                  phone:                     mail & web:
Sävenäsgatan 5A        +46 31 - 27 98 47          watchman_at_ludd.luth.se
416 72 Göteborg        +46 733 75 97 02           www.ludd.luth.se/~watchman