Re: 5.2.1-p8 -> -CURRENT: Fatal trap 12

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 19:27:02 -0500
On 05/27/04 20:36, Jon Noack wrote:
> I'm trying to update a machine from 5.2.1-p8 to -CURRENT.  I did a
> buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, and was trying to reboot into
> single-user mode when the I got the following and was dropped to ddb:

> cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
> fault virtual address   = 0x4b0000
> fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer     = 0x8:0x4b0000
> stack pointer           = 0x10:0xd7d04c9c
> frame pointer           = 0x10:0xd7d04cc8
> code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process         = 5 (taskqueue)
> kernel: type 12 trap, code=0
> Stopped at      0x4b0000:

> cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
> fault virtual address   = 0x4b0000
> fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xc064cdd0
> stack pointer           = 0x10:0xd7d04aa0
> frame pointer           = 0x10:0xd7d04aa4
> code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                         = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags        = resume, IOPL = 0
> current process         = 5 (taskqueue)
>        kernel: type 12 trap, code=0

I unplugged the cable from my DVD-ROM drive and now it boots fine.  It's
an old drive, granted (from the original Creative DXR2 kit), but it
worked fine under FreeBSD 4.x.  With 5.2-RELEASE, I reported that I was
unable to mount CD-ROMs with it back in January
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-January/018441.html).
  At least FreeBSD booted with it then...

Note that the drive will boot the FreeBSD install CD just fine, but will
not work once the kernel is loaded.  Toggling DMA mode off doesn't help.
  I've tried different cables, but they were all rounded single-drive
80-pin cables.  Perhaps I'll dig up an old regular 40-pin double-drive
flat-ribbon cable and see if that works.  Drive is jumpered to master.

Here's the section from the booting 5.2.1-p6 dmesg:
acd0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE_BIG status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
sensekey=ABORTED COMMAND error=4<ABORTED>
acd0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE_BIG status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
sensekey=ABORTED COMMAND error=4<ABORTED>
acd0: FAILURE - MODE_SENSE_BIG status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
sensekey=ABORTED COMMAND error=4<ABORTED>
acd0: DVDROM <CREATIVEDVD-ROM DVD2240E 03/18/98> at ata0-master WDMA2
acd0: FAILURE - REQUEST_SENSE status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
sensekey=ABORTED COMMAND error=4<ABORTED>
acd0: FAILURE - REQUEST_SENSE status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
sensekey=ABORTED COMMAND error=4<ABORTED>

Jon