Re: Attache USB flash drive

From: Brian Rogers <burpmaster_at_truffula.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 00:01:50 -0700
Rob wrote:

> Brian Rogers wrote:
>
>> umass0: PNY Attache 2.0, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2
>> umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
>> umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
>> umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
>
> I've seen similar problems on one of my 4-stable PCs.
> Not being an expert on USB stuff, I googled a bit around and
> came to the conclusion that the VIA 83C572 USB controller is
> the reason of the problem. You also have that one.
> Mounting my USB mass storage toy as a umass device works fine,
> however, unmounting it hangs/freezes the whole system.
>
> Another 4-Stable PC of mine has an Intel 82801BA/BAM (ICH2) USB
> controller, and that works like a charm.
>
> If, by any chance, you've got another FreeBSD PC that has an
> Intell (or any other than VIA) USB controller, you may also
> see it work there.
>
> I haven't tried all this out with CURRENT, but I guess it has the
> same problems.

I just tried booting off the FreeBSD 5.2 install disc on my system.  No
crash on removal, but I do get the same three repeating error messages
and still no device appears in /dev.  Then I tried this boot disc on an
Intel (440BX) machine.  No error messages, but still no /dev entry.  I
must be seeing both an old VIA-related 4.X bug and a newer 5.X bug where
the device doesn't appear, which recently can also trigger a crash.

Did you say that you can mount the filesystem, and it freezes when you
unmount it?  What happens if you just unplug the device after plugging
it in?  I don't have a way to mount it, but unplugging the device
crashes my system.