misc questions / comments / rambelings

From: asfdqwer xzcvdsf <brueggma_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 08:49:55 -0700 (PDT)
Greetings..

 I just moved from 5.2.1 to current and had
a few comments.  Upgrading from 5.2.1 which first
required me to upgrade config, which required
me to upgrade flex.  None of these are documented
in UPGRADING

 Now that I'm running current is there anything
special I have to change in make.conf?  Should
I still have to define "WITH_THREADS" and
"WITH_LIBMAP" or do the ports autorecognize
the kse --> pthreads change?  I hope I'm not
making a fool of myself with the wording, I
know what threads are but not how they are
implimented in FBSD.  When I compile things
I always see "THREAD_SAFE" flag added to the
building of lots of ports..  For example when
I compile apache I see a freebsd thread hack
flag added, is this still necissary?

I've also had a few problems with a mammoth
drive my box.  When ever I tried to restore
a large tar to disk the machine would crash
hard.  This was when I was running 5.2.1, I
haven't tried current yet.

Now that I have current running I've noticed
that the OS is using much more memory,  it seemed
like there was always 1700Mb free now its
always around 700Mb.  I'm guessing here but
the machine seems to be caching more aggresivly,
which I think is good, right?

   Thank you for a great OS,
   Eric

P.S.  Where can I find some good howto's on
      MAC?  Will it be ready for primetime
      When 5.3 comes out?