es1989 sound card

From: Joe Fiorini <jfiorini_at_zoomtown.com>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 12:31:44 -0400
I'm having trouble with my ESS sound card.  I'm not sure which model it is,
but I do know that it's an es1989 chipset.  Here's what I have so far:

/dev/sndstat:

Installed devices:

pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> at io 0xac00 irq 11 (4p/1r/0v channels
duplex default)

kldstat:

Id         Refs     Address            Size      Name

2          1          0xc0a52000       93c8     snd_maestro3.ko

(I believe this is correct: when I changed loader.conf to load all sound
drivers, it also loaded this one automatically.)

grep pcm0 /var/run/dmesg.boot

pcm0: <ESS Technology Allegro-1> port 0xac00-0xacff irq 11 at device 16.0 on
pci0

pcm0: failed to enable memory mapping!

pcm0: <ESS Technology ES1988 AC97 Codec>

The problem is every program I've tried (mpg123, and the Gnome sound
preferences applet) will "play" a file, but no sound will come out.  I'm not
receiving any error messages, and I've messed with my speakers'
configuration.  Anybody have any ideas?  Is it because of the failed memory
mapping error message?  If you need any more information, feel free to
e-mail me at jfiorini at zoomtown dot com.

Thanks,

Joe Fiorini