Re: Project Evil APs

From: Brian Feldman <green_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 19:17:52 -0400
On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 09:48:55AM +0100, Doug Rabson wrote:

> > > Probably. Only if I can get this silly little WinME laptop to do
> > > ad-hoc as well though. The main reason for doing this is that my AP
> > > died and my gf wants to use the laptop in the garden :-).
> >
> > Did you... read the little booklet that came with the card in your
> > gf's computer? Sometimes there's a special control panel snap-in or
> > custom utility to configure the card. If not, go to the control
> > panel, click "system" and look for the device manager. Select the
> > wireless device and check for driver settings. You might be able to
> > set ad-hoc mode there.
>
> I managed to find new drivers for the laptop's card and it works fine
> now. Now I just have to put some kind of tunnelling thing together (I
> guess pptp is the only option for WinMe) so that the neighbours can't
> 'borrow' our service.

Doing a Windows-style VPN is pretty darn easy on FreeBSD:
1. Install ports/net/poptop.
2. Set up pptpd.conf (pretty much just the remoteip and localip options).
3. Set up ppp(8) with a "pptp" section, much like the following:
pptp:
 set timeout 0
 set log phase chat connect lcp ipcp command
 enable MSCHAPv2
 enable mppe
 set mppe 128 stateful
 disable deflate pred1
 deny deflate pred1
 accept dns
 enable dns
 set ifaddr localip range ...
4. After modifying ppp.conf, add appropriate users to ppp.secret.

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \