Re: if_sk patch to get more info from people with problems

From: Arjan de Vet <devet_at_devet.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 20:55:41 +0100
Robert Watson wrote:

>> I filed a bug report for if_sk.c for possibly related symptoms:
>>
>>     http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern%2F73038 The
>> IFF_NEEDSGIANT flag seems to solve the problem but I need to do much
>> more testing with it this week (had to go back to 5.2.1 because 5.3
>> hangs for me after 1-1.5 days; still need to debug that one as well :().
>
>Note that it could well be a locking bug in if_sk, but that
>debug.mpsafenet and IFF_NEEDSGIANT both substantially change the timing in
>the driver, so these changes could just mask an existing bug in your
>configuration (yet still leave it present in other's).  The if_de bug
>recently, btw, turned out to be an existing (real) bug that was unmasked
>due to timing changes from running with IFF_NEEDSGIANT, but was in fact
>(we believe) present even with Giant over the stack...

I just updated kern/73038 to say that the problem I was seeing seems to
have disappeared with 5.3-RC2. I am now running 5.3-RC2 with an
unmodified if_sk.c and without debug.mpsafenet=0 and so far all
network connections behave as usual.

Arjan

--
Arjan de Vet, Eindhoven, The Netherlands               <devet_at_devet.org>
Work: http://www.madison-gurkha.com/  (Security, Open Source, Education)