Re: CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp breaks loader (was Re: instant reboot when trying to load recent RELENG_5 kernel)

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 18:44:10 -0600 (CST)
David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2004 at 07:26:08AM -0600, Jon Noack wrote:
>> On up-to-date RELENG_5_3, compiling the loader with CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp
>> results in an instant reboot when the loader attempts to load a kernel.
>> As the loader will preload the default kernel before presenting the boot
>> prompt, there is a reboot before you even get to the boot prompt...  The
>> end result is an unworkable install.  I do not see this issue on my
>> Pentium III and Pentium IV systems (using "p3" and "p4" for CPUTYPE,
>> respectively), although there is a similar problem reported on a Pentium
>> M (have not verified CPUTYPE is being used, however).
>>
>> I first noticed this issue on October 15th.  My previous build on
>> October 12th worked fine.  At the time I was tracking RELENG_5, but
>> prior to that I was tracking HEAD.
>
> I use CPUTYPE=athlon-xp and last rebuilt world+kernel on Oct 19th and
> don't see this problem.  Add -save-temps to your CFLAGS and build both
> with and without CPUTYPE=athlon-xp and look for what the differences are.
> You'll have to save the loader /usr/obj directory between runs.
>
> If on your Athlon system you use CPUTYPE=penitum3 or penitum2, do you
> also see the problem?  What about using CPUTYPE=k6-2?

Sorry for the delayed response -- for some reason people tend to complain
when the proxy server goes down... ;-)

I get instant reboots with CPUTYPE?=p3 and CPUTYPE?=p2, but it works fine
for CPUTYPE?=k6-2.

I added -save-temps as you suggested but there are a lot of changes; a
unified diff between the two is over 300k (for the .s files, of course).
I don't have any idea what to look for in all this.  If anyone is willing
to check it out, I posted the diff, the directories themselves, and a
gzipped tar of the directories:
http://www.concordiacrusaders.org/~noackjr/

Thanks again,
Jon