Re: HEADS UP: Ports are not ready for CFLAGS=-O2 in 6.0

From: Kirk Strauser <kirk_at_strauser.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:36:17 -0600
On Tuesday 02 November 2004 16:20, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> (there are at least 350 ports that emit warnings about aliasing, and would
> probably have runtime errors when compiled with -O2; moreover, a number of
> ports fail to even build with -O2).

Out of curiosity, are those ports like to have equivalents in Gentoo's
"portage" system?  Those guys love to build with -O310 -fomit-instructions
but their stuff seems to pretty much work.  Why do we seem to have so many
problems with (presumably?) the same software on our system?

IANA compiler designer so I don't really understand a lot of the technical
details, but is this something that can be reasonably understood by
somewhat experienced application programmers?
--
Kirk Strauser