Re: HEADS UP: Ports are not ready for CFLAGS=-O2 in 6.0

From: Tobias Roth <roth_at_iam.unibe.ch>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 14:59:55 +0100
On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 09:14:20PM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 November 2004 05:36 pm, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, are those ports like to have equivalents in
> > Gentoo's "portage" system?
>
> I just checked and portage has ~8k entries and we have ~12k,
> so our problem is a little bit higher scale.
>
> AFAICT they also adopt changes more slowly than we do?

If you mean the transition from a devel port into a stable port, yes.
They have all their ports marked as either "stable", "devel", or
"broken". For ports to get from "devel" to "stable", it can take quite
some time. This has of course to do with the tight couppling of ports
and base system.
If the author or a program decides that it has reached a "stable" state,
this does not mean that the Gentoo port will also be marked stable soon
after.

In my opinion, it is more wisely to adopt (separate) devel ports only
for those projects that are very slow in releasing the next stable
version (i.e. the way FreeBSD does it). Or create a devel port some time
before the expected release of a new stable branch, to allow smoother
transitions (i.e. how it was done with the php port. good work there btw).
In my (one) Gentoo installation, I basically run everything as unstable,
because the stable versions of a few critical ports i need are very
outdated, and I just don't want to wait until everything I need gets
tagged stable. Granted however, I did not spend a lot of time thinking
about this and trying to figure out what the most clever thing would be
to do.

cheers, t.