copying a superblock (more running-with-scissors)

From: David Gilbert <dgilbert_at_dclg.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 12:10:06 -0500
OK.  So the bad filesystem I have ... where roughly the first 200k is
bad (0's at this point as I've used recoverdisk and those blocks are
unreadable on the origional disk).  fsck can start on things using the
-b option, but as I said before I end up with an empty filesystem as
fsck can't create a lost+found directory.

So the suggestion was to try dump.  Cool.  I understand.  Problem so far
with dump is that it can't find a superblock (not too surprising) and it
doesn't have an option to use an alternate superblock.

What I suspect we have here is the first 200k of disk are 0's ... which
(I think) contains inode 1 and junk that goes with that.