Re: HEADS UP: Ports are not ready for CFLAGS=-O2 in 6.0

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 18:15:05 -0600 (CST)
Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org> writes:
>> On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 04:56:03PM -0500, Michael Johnson wrote:
>>> Is there a list of what's broke with -O2 in ports anywhere?
>>
>> Some of the bugs are probably silent.  For example, different versions
>> of gcc sometimes have bugs at higher optimization levels or with
>> certain CPUTYPE values.
>
> As far as we know, that is not the case for FreeBSD 5.3 and 6.0.

Not a port issue, but did you see the "CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp breaks loader"
thread?  Another person mentioned a similar issue with a Pentium M.  So
not *all* is well in the base system...  That said, it only happened to me
on my AMD system and all the Intel boxes I administer are fine with -O2
and CPUTYPE.

Jon