cvs-src summary for November 1-8

From: Mark Johnston <mjohnston_at_skyweb.ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:46:36 -0600
FreeBSD cvs-src summary for 01/11/04 to 08/11/04
newsletter is marked up in reStructuredText_, so any odd punctuation
that you see is likely intended for the reST parser.

.. _reStructuredText: http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html

You can get old summaries, and an HTML version of this one, at
http://www.xl0.org/FreeBSD/.  Please send any comments to Mark Johnston
(mark at xl0.org).

If you would like to get the summary without subscribing to current_at_,
please send mail to freebsd-cvs-summary-subscribe_at_lists.enderunix.org.
Thanks to Omer Faruk Sen and EnderUNIX for hosting this list.

For Lukasz Dudek and Szymon Roczniak's Polish translations of these
summaries, which may lag the English ones slightly, please see
http://mocart.pinco.pl/FreeBSD/.

.. contents::

============
New features
============
tail can now follow multiple files
----------------------------------
Paul Richards (paul) added support to tail, which shows the last few lines
of a file, to follow (-f) more than one file.  This means that you can use
tail -f file1 file2 file3 to show any added lines to any of the files.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411041918.iA4JIJsd028943

Device vnode bypass added
-------------------------
Poul-Henning Kamp (phk) added support for a new feature, called device
vnode bypass.  When this bypass is enabled, it allows device access to
go directly to the DEVFS device layer instead of having to pass through
another layer (the vnode layer) first.  Drivers that do not need the
Giant system lock to run can now read and write without it; this includes
/dev/null, /dev/zero, and hard disks.  Poul-Henning gives the following
example::

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=1 count=1000000

which, on a 700MHz K7 machine, runs twice as fast with the bypass enabled.

The new code is disabled by default; to enable it, set the sysctl
vfs.devfs.fops to 1 (vfs.devfs.fops=1) in /boot/loader.conf and reboot.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411081046.iA8AklqT003808

USB 2.0 (EHCI) enhancements
---------------------------
Ian Dowse (iedowse) merged numerous fixes for USB 2 from NetBSD.  The
changes improve standards compliance and improve the driver's status
messages, among other bug fixes.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411030152.iA31qoLv069164

===============
Notable changes
===============
Default i386 and ia64 HZ setting changed to 1000
Poul-Henning Kamp (phk) changed the i386 default setting of the HZ system
variable, which controls the granularity of the system clock, from 100
to 1000.  This means that the standard system granularity will be 1 ms
instead of 10 ms.  In the same thread, Max Laier (mlaier) gave a link
to `discussion of the change`_.  Nate Lawson (njl) warned of a low hum,
audible on some laptops and caused by ACPI's CPU idling, that is more
noticeable at 1000 HZ than 100.

Marcel Moolenaar (marcel) later changed the HZ on ia64 to 1000 as well.

.. _`discussion of the change`:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2004-November/003085.html

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411061133.iA6BXhHT086940
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411080450.iA84o2Te081727

T/TCP support removed from the system
-------------------------------------
Andre Oppermann (andre) removed support for T/TCP (Transactional TCP),
as defined in `RFC 1644`_, from the network stack.  He gives a link to
`a thread discussing the reasons`_ for the change.  He specifically
mentions that its code makes the TCP code very difficult to maintain,
that it is unsupported on OSes other than FreeBSD, and that the design is
full of security flaws.  Andre also notes that it is disabled by default
in FreeBSD and that it has different API calls than TCP, so it is not
supported by any common network applications.

.. _`RFC 1644`: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1644.txt
.. _`a thread discussing the reasons`:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?4177C8AD.6060706

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411022222.iA2MMMJs054892

gx driver removed
-----------------
Poul-Henning Kamp (phk) removed the gx driver, which used to support Intel
Pro/1000 Gigabit Ethernet cards.  All of the hardware it supported is now
supported by the em driver, which is more actively maintained.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411081905.iA8J5MDt044879

=================
Discussion topics
=================

Moving boot messages around
---------------------------
Poul-Henning Kamp (phk) made a change to the em driver, for some Intel network
cards, so that the "Link is up" and "Link is down" status messages would be
shown only when the system is started with "boot -v".

Scott Long (scottl) replied to this, saying, "I think that in general we
can start eyeing a lot of similar verbosity in all of our drivers, both at
boot and at runtime.  For example most nic drivers print out their MAC and
all of their possible negotiation rates on attach.  This same info can be
obtained from ifconfig.  Why clutter the boot with it?"

Luigi Rizzo (rizzo) replied, "because sometimes you might need to enable
some MAC-based filter before you have a chance to access the box. e.g.
to set dhcp/bootp anbd the like. [ . . . ] I think the link-up/link-down
thing is different because it happens not just at boot but also whenever
the link status changes [ . . . ], and this is annoying on the console."

Scott replied, "I'm not saying that these things should be removed, just
places under bootverbose.  Situations like what you are saying are rare
and/or one-time occurances.  And if you look at drivers like if_ath(no
offense meant towards Sam)::

    ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xf4010000-0xf401ffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on
cardbus1
    ath0: mac 5.6 phy 4.1 5ghz radio 1.7 2ghz radio 2.3
    ath0: Ethernet address: 00:0c:41:15:5f:94
    ath0: 11a rates: 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
    ath0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
    ath0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps
24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
    ath0: turbo rates: 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps

The last 4 lines could easily go under bootverbose.  I'd even wager that
the second line can be hidden also[.]"

Luigi responded, "ok, but that one time is precisely when you have little
or no chance to intervene. Anyways, as long as you keep the MAC printout
on by default i am happy :)"

M. Warner Losh (imp) also replied to Scott's example, saying, "Agreed.
The second line should likely be exported as a series of sysctls [ . . . ]
if they are important."

John Baldwin (jhb) replied to Scott too, saying, "I think bootverbose
needs to be split up some."  He outlined a scheme that would create
different categories for boot messages that could be enabled
independently.

Poul-Henning answered, "I think that would be overkill."

Bjoern A. Zeeb responded, "I think it's overkill to enable all verbose
msgs just to see link state messages in my logs again [ . . . ]."

Poul-Henning replied, "Link states are visible with ifconfig(8)."

Bjoern replied, "of course they are but who will notify me or write them to my
logs so
I have timestamps ? Do I need to write a small daemon to regularly
and fast enough poll for link state changes now ?"

Poul-Henning said, "I'm not against logging link states, but if we do it,
we should not arbitrarily limit it to when the link is gigE."

John-Mark Gurney (jmg) responded, "Sounds like we need to expand devd for
this.."

Andre Oppermann (andre) pointed out, "The network drivers poll their PHY
via MII every second for connection status.  You don't have to worry about
milliseconds or so."

Robert Watson (rwatson) replied to Bjoern's last post too, saying, "If
the information provided by "route monitor" isn't sufficiently useful and
detailed (i.e., easily parsable) we should make it more useful, I think."

Garrett Wollman (wollman) suggested, "Why can't we simply log() a
message?"

Returning to the ath driver example, Sam Leffler (sam) followed up,
"The 2nd line cannot be removed.  I'm ok with moving the rates under
bootverbose."

Gleb Smirnoff (glebius) also replied regarding the link up/down messages,
saying, "[M]y vote is: keep initialization printfs as is, remove any
runtime printfs."

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411031411.iA3EBIqL012134

=================
Committer changes
=================
Xin Li has graduated to full committerhood and no longer needs his
mentor's approval for commits.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411031936.iA3JacQT030309

Philip Paeps (philip) has also reached full committerhood and is no longer
being mentored.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411070628.iA76SZjw061430

===================
Important bug fixes
===================
Potential denial of service in syslog fixed
Gleb Smirnoff (glebius) fixed a problem in the syslog subsystem, which
collects log messages and writes them to various files, that could result
in a denial of service if a local user floods /var/run/log.  If a user was
able to flood syslog with messages, it could cause programs like sshd and
su to run into infinite loops when trying to log.  Syslog will now create
a second logging socket, /var/run/logpriv, to receive privileged messages,
and log clients will no longer loop forever on this socket.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411042309.iA4N9v06043345

===============
Other bug fixes
===============
Yar Tikhiy (yar) fixed a bug in the FTP server that could cause it to log
incorrect filenames.  The bug was noticed by Nick Leuta.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411030652.iA36qeOO084573

Max Laier (mlaier) fixed a bug in PF, the OpenBSD packet filter, that was
preventing it from using renamed interfaces.  The bug was reported by Ed
Schouten as `PR 72444`_.

.. _`PR 72444`: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=72444

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411031721.iA3HLD72025259

Ceri Davies (ceri) committed a fix to ancontrol, the control program for
Aironet wireless network cards, for a bug that caused it to reject the -f
(set fragmentation threshhold) argument.  The notification and fix were
submitted by Irina Liakh in `PR 73229`_.

.. _`PR 73229`: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=73229

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200411032045.iA3KjqsC032868