Re: Not support for CT4730 chip?

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:25:00 -0600 (CST)
Ariff Abdullah wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 00:10:42 +0800, Robin <huxw1980_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all:
>>   I've just installed FreeBSD 5.3rc2 on an old micron laptop. The
>> sound chip is detected, and snd_es137x.ko can be loaded succesfully.
>> But, no sound at all. ;(  Mixer is tried, but nothing is changed.
>> Since it works under NetBSD 1.6.2, I believe the hardware is OK.
>>   Dmesg and cat /dev/sndstat is here. Any ideas?

> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/73498

Have you by any chance tried my es137x patch?  I doubt it would fix your
problem, but as you're using the es137x driver I thought I'd see if it
works for you:
http://www.noacks.org/freebsd/es137x.diff

The patch includes 2 main features (and is a superset of the 2 PRs
mentioned):
1) Adds locking to the driver to make it MPSAFE.  Reducing Giant
contention can't hurt...  This is based on Mathew Kanner's patch in
kern/59349 (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/59349),
although I cleaned it up and added a snd_mtxfree (mutex_destroy) to
complete the locking.
2) Adds digital (S/PDIF) output.  This is enabled via the
hw.snd.pcmX.spdif_enabled sysctl.  Make sure to read the notes in
kern/68594 (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/68594).

I've been using the S/PDIF output since February and the locking since
August.  I've had no problems with either.  However, I am not aware of
anyone other than myself looking at this code, so I'm sure I screwed up
somewhere... ;-)

Jon