Re: latest -CURRENT kernel panic

From: Vincent Poy <vincepoy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 14:47:48 -0800
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 00:51:49 -0500, Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu> wrote:
> At 8:25 PM -0800 11/8/04, Vincent Poy wrote:
> >Any ideas what could be causing this?  Is there anyway to write
> >everything above to a file instead of manually typing everything?
> >Thanks.
>
> If you have a second machine handy, you could set up a serial
> console on this machine.  I finally broke down and figured out
> how to do this from my Mac to a PC, and it definitely makes it
> easier to debug these things (once you get it set up...).
>
> Also, do you have things set up to get a kernel dump from a
> panic like this?
>
> Both of these are explained in the developers handbook, available
> at
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/

Thanks for the suggestions.  Don't really have a second machine handy
as this is running on a notebook with the maximum hardware config,
60GB 7200rpm hard drives, 2GB RAM.  Thanks for the link the the
developers handbook since I think the dump device will work except my
swap device is 256MB while I have 2GB of physical memory so that won't
work.  Is there a way to just output the trace and other things to a
text file instead?

Cheers,
Vince