Re: Suggestion to the next releases

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_alumni.rice.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:50:34 -0600
On 11/09/04 22:46, Boris Kovalenko wrote:
>    I found, that usbd is disabled by default on install images, so we
> can not install FreeBSD on computers with USB keyboard attached. My
> suggestion is to enable usbd in the next releases.

Did you check the 5.3-RELEASE Errata
(http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/errata.html)?

Specifically:
(31 Oct 2004, updated on 5 Nov 2004) For FreeBSD/i386 and FreeBSD/amd64,
when installing FreeBSD 5.3 using an USB keyboard the keyboard will stop
working once the kernel boots, because a PS/2 keyboard is always
considered to be attached. As a workaround, select ``Escape to loader
prompt'' in the boot loader menu and enter the following lines at the
prompt:

set hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"
boot

Note that if you use the boot floppies, this is set by default.

After the installation, add the following line to /boot/loader.conf:

hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"

In other words, this should be fixed in future releases.
Jon