Re: initdiskless patch

From: Ryan Sommers <ryans_at_gamersimpact.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:39:26 -0700 (MST)
Generally I like this. I've been wanting to get rid of that dependency on
/stand for awhile as you know. This patch would need either my patch to
move gzip into /bin or something similar.

Another patch I have locally is to replace GNU gzip with the BSD licensed
copy. Moving this to the root is somewhat more of a challenge though
because it requires the addition of a few libraries for the binary.

Just a few comments within.

Jose M Rodriguez said:
> Hi,
> This is an absolute _NOT_ tested patch, but an idea that can be even MFC
> to RELENG_4

Needs to be tested before MFC...

> comments welcome,
> --
>   josemi
>
> +# a valid gzip
> +if [ -x /bin/gzip ]; then
> + use_gunzip="/bin/gzip -d"
> +elif [ -x /rescue/gzip ]; then
> + use_gunzip="/rescue/gzip -d"
> +elif [ -x /stand/gzip ]; then
> + use_gunzip="/stand/gzip -d"
> +else
> + use_gunzip=""

I'm not sure I like the idea of having /rescue/gzip or /stand/gzip
referenced. /stand/gzip is something that, in my opinion, is 'ok' for now,
but after a gzip binary is moved to the root needs to go away.
/rescue/gzip is definately NOT something that should go in here. Why would
a diskless system need a /rescue anyway? Rescue is for repairing a borked
root filesystem. This is completely unnecessary on diskless.

With that in mind I'd like to see the next generation of the
diskless-root-building script not include /rescue in the diskless root.

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans_at_gamersimpact.com