Re: number of CPUs and IPI panic

From: Ketrien I. Saihr-Kesenchedra <ketrien_at_error404.nls.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:51:43 -0500
Josh Tolbert wrote:

>Win2K Advanced Server works just fine on these boxes, no special patches needed. FreeBSD-4.x ran just fine on my Revolution 6x6 (also 6x PII OverDrive; you can see it at http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/Pics/Comps/ALR/). If you
>want high-detail pics of a 6x6 motherboard, let me know. I have a spare dead one that I looted some parts from to revive my working one.
>
>I haven't tried FreeBSD-5.x on my 6x6, mainly cause the thing is disassembled until I build a case for it. Mine never had problems crashing under heavy load with 4.x, though.

Indeed, but there's one detail being overlooked;
You're dealing with a genuine ALR. What we have in this instance is a
Unisys Aquanta Hx/6. The Hx/6 is not identical to the ALR, because
Unisys can't leave good enough alone. (I had to deal with a DS6, which
is based on the Revolution 4-way.) I definitely would not put stupid
BIOS tweaks past it; in fact, I would very much expect them.
As far as functionality; oh, yes, I can also confirm that on 4.x they
were fine. I had opportunity to test a DS6, though, and it would -not-
behave unless I told it I was Windows NT. The Unisys part here may be a
similar situation. In fact, comparing your dmesg, I can say with some
certainty that the Unisys part is not the same. For example; there is no
pcic0. (This still may be erroneous.) Not remembering 4.x too well, the
boot order also has me wondering, but that may just be 4.x.
Somewhere around here I should have a bunch of notes on the ALR
implementation. Both of those seem off to me for several reasons; I see
two Orions detected when I'm fairly certain we should detect a total of
three (not including memory card.) ISTR the APIC being a 24 pin, as
well. I'll have to see if I can find what disk I stuck them on.

-ksaihr