Re: [TEST] make -j patch [take 2]

From: Harti Brandt <harti_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:30:55 +0100 (CET)
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

PK>In message <80546.1100202141_at_critter.freebsd.dk>, Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
PK>
PK>Here is take two of my "make -j" patch.  Further testing found
PK>a couple of buglets.  If this survices further testing, it will
PK>be committed in a couple of days.
PK>
PK>With this patch "make -j N" will put the load average as close
PK>to N as the makefiles will allow.

It would be nice to have a way to reset this in a sub-make (i.e. to make
it start its own group of makes).

PK>Included is also a patch I've been using to make the SUBDIR targets
PK>go parallel.  Ruslan will have to fix all the mistakes I've made
PK>in that one before it gets committed.

I have some reservations about this. I have makefiles that have carefull
crafted orders of the SUBDIR variable in order to have dependencies right
like:

SUBDIR= lib1 lib2 prog1 prog2 man

That will break by automatically making all subdir targets parallel. Even
if we can fix this in our tree, we should not assume that nobody else is
using our make.

Otherwise your patch is very nice. I was just talking with the smake
author about this three days ago.

harti