Re: 5.3-RELEASE: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt timout

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 11:34:34 +0100
In message <4195E1FF.5090906_at_DeepCore.dk>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= wri
tes:

>>>Timeout is 5 secs, which is a pretty long time in this context IMHO..
>>
>> Five seconds counted from when ?
>
>Now thats the nasty part :)
>ATA starts the timeout when the request is issued to the device, so
>theoretically the disk could take 4.9999 secs to complete the request
>and then the timeout fires before the taskqueue gets its chance at it,
>but IMHO thats pretty unlikely...

I find that far more likely than kernel threads being stalled for that
long.  ATA disks doing bad-block stuff takes several seconds on some
of the disks I've had my hands on.

>Anyhow, I can just remove the warning from ATA if that makes anyone
>happy, since its just a warning and ATA doesn't do anything with it at all.
>However, IMNHO this points at a problem somewhere that we should better
>understand and fix instead.

I would prefer you reset the timer to five seconds in your interrupt
routine so we can see exactly on which side of that the time is spent.