Re: Passwd format?

From: Pawel Wieleba <wielebap_at_volt.iem.pw.edu.pl>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:42:55 +0100
On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 05:42:53PM +0100, Ivan Voras wrote:
> The Handbook and crypt(3) say passwords in master.passwd are MD5 hashes
> if they start with $1$, for example:
>
> $1$DP.s8oCc$VJo0/026/S5ng6HlD1Sz8/
>
> the format is $1$salt$rest. I have several questions:
>
> How are the values encoded? This looks something like base64.
>
> Is it possible to actually verify the password against this format using
> only a bare implementation of the md5 algorithm?

No.

> Actually, the reason for these questions is that I'm considering using
> LDAP authentication on a machine with lots of users and I'm wondering if
> existing passwd information could be transported to LDAP. Any
> experiences/docs on this?

Yes of course. I have migrated from /etc/master.passwd to LDAP.
I've used MigrationTools and changed them to support FreeBSD
/etc/master.passwd file.
www.padl.com/download/MigrationTools.tgz
A patch to migrate_common.ph is available from my web:
www.iem.pw.edu.pl/~wielebap/ldap/migrationtools/migrate_common.ph.diff
A have created a new migrate_masterpasswd.pl (changed migrate_passwd.pl)
www.iem.pw.edu.pl/~wielebap/ldap/migrationtools/migrate_masterpasswd.pl

You can also use pam_ldap to migrate password hash from one to another
hash format:
www.iem.pw.edu.pl/~wielebap/ldap/pam_ldap/pam_ldap_doc.pdf (section 1)

It may be helpful to see PRs:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/73448