Re: Detection of HTT

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:25:11 -0700
M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20041116022926.GB57056_at_squash.dsto.defence.gov.au>
>             "Wilkinson, Alex" <alex.wilkinson_at_dsto.defence.gov.au> writes:
> : Yes you're right ! This sux ! What the hell is Intel claiming that I have a
> : HTT capable CPU, but really I have only 1 core !
>
> I seem to recall at the time HTT was introduced that you could put an
> HTT into a non-HTT ready mobo.  Maybe that's what's happend?
>
> Warner

The HTT flag in the CPUID word only says that the CPU supports the MSRs
that tell you how many logical cores are in the CPU.  A value of 1 in
these registers is perfectly acceptable, and doesn't mean that Intel is
ripping you off or that your BIOS is wrong or whatever.  This really
needs to be made into a FAQ, I guess.

Scott