Re: [TEST] make -j patch

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:39:07 +0200
On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 10:46:06PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <20041116120515.J13866_at_carver.gumbysoft.com>, Doug White writes:
> >On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >

> >> This patch makes the '-j' argument to make(1) become a global limit
> >> on number of jobs launched for all submakes in the build.
> >>
> >> Today a "make -j 12" may start many more than 12 jobs because each
> >> submake interprets the 12 without reference to other makes.
> >
> >Ah, this is the thing I've noticed with the rescue build where it create
> >-j^2 jobs. :)
>
> -j^(depth of directories) actually, but that is even worse.

In the "make buildworld" case only.  Like I told you, bsd.subdir.mk
is constructed so that subdirs are NOT built in parallel, and there
is a reason for this.  Makefile.inc1 creates special par-* targets
to build things in subdirs in parallel.  There are a lot of places
that depend on a particular order of directories listed in SUBDIR.
Hopefully, after we created libs and headers, we can build top-level
directories in parallel.

Anyway, thanks for looking into it and finally fixing this!

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru_at_FreeBSD.org