open(), mmap(), sendfile() vs. the file's access time

From: Mikhail Teterin <Mikhail.Teterin_at_murex.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:07:11 -0500
Hello!

It appears, only read() modifies a file's atime. Otherwise, a file can be
open()-ed and subsequently _accessed_ through mmap or sendfile()-ed away
without atime being changed. Does not seem right...

Should open() update atime? My first reaction would be yes, but  on Linux and
Solaris the behaviour is the same (try attached program).

Should sendfile()? What about mmap() -- there are some hairy usages?..

All I'm trying to do is track the last time a file was downloaded from the
web-server. But Apache uses sendfile() (zero copy and what not) and thus no
luck :-(

Thanks! Yours,

	-mi