Re: sil3112a SATA Controller, current status

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:47:30 +0100
Wilkinson, Alex wrote:
> Soren, I know that TCQ stands for 'Tagged Command Queing',
> but how about NCQ ?

NCQ = Native Command Queueing, semilar to TCQ but with different
commands and sematics, still limitted to 32 tags. IIRC there is no "bus
release" cycle in NCQ as SATA only has one device pr chain (well, as
long as you dont use port multipliers that is).

> And how does one find out if their SATA disk is really using a
> PATA-SATA converter chip ? smartmon ?

Either by asking then vendor or by visual inspection, you cannot tell pr
software, at least not in any reliable way AFAIK.

--

-Søren