Re: Problem with HP DL380

From: Lukas Ertl <le_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:46:25 +0100 (CET)
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> : Setting hw.pci.do_powerstate=0 in /boot/loader.conf fixes this problem.
>
> Dang.  I missed the earlier part of this thread.  You shouldn't need
> to do this if I coded things up right.  But, alas, you do.  Can you
> send me the details?

No, I think you did everything right.  If I understand it correctly, then
hw.pci.do_powerstate puts a device into C3 state if no driver attaches.
That's just what happens here.  That iLO service processor of the DL380s
shows up as normal PCI device, but exports the console to the network even
without specific driver (as there is none for FreeBSD), so that it works
independent of the OS.

So, since there is no driver, the device gets powered down as soon as the
kernel initializes its ACPI parts, and then the iLO console stops working.

cheers,
le

--
Lukas Ertl                         http://homepage.univie.ac.at/l.ertl/