Re: 5-STABLE softupdates issue?

From: Matthias Andree <ma_at_dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:40:37 +0100
Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org> writes:

> No, this in theory should not happen.  YOu could have caught it right at
> the instance that it was sending a transaction out to disk, or you could
> have caught an edge case that isn't understood yet.  Unfortunately, ATA
> drives also cannot be trusted to flush their caches when one would
> expect, so this leaves open a lot of possible causes for your problem.

That's why I added that question about drive cache flushing.

I'll see to running with forced hw.ata.wc="0" and see if I can reproduce
that problem. May be a while while before I see the problem again, these
are very scarce fortunately (actually, the first SOFTDEP issue on this
machine at all).

OTOH, this is an IBM desktop drive in disguise, so the blatant firmware
errors should be known by now.

--
Matthias Andree