Re: 5-STABLE softupdates issue?

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 23:51:10 +0100
Scott Long wrote:

> Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>
>> Matthias Andree wrote:
>>

>>> I posted about softupdate problems on a SCSI system with DISABLED WRITE
>>> CACHE, on a somewhat flakey Micropolis drive that froze and caused
>>> massive ffs+softupdates corruption in February 2004 (on FreeBSD 4
>>> though), see <URL:http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?m38yj15m59.fsf>
>>> for the archived post, including logs.
>>

>> FWIW, I'm used to "UNEXPECTED SOFTUPDATE INCONSISTENCY" erros as well,
>> been getting them every now and then after the occasional system
>> lockup or kernel panic as long as I've been running freebsd and I'm
>> pretty sure with each release since 4.0-R, too. I didn't know those
>> are _literally_ unexpected. If so, then softupdates is a probably lot
>> more flaky than it ought to be.
>>

> It's common (and even expected) for fsck to clean up normal things like
> unlinked files after a hard shutdown when softupdates is enabled.
> However, if fsck is bailing out and telling you that there is an
> unexpected inconsistency that needs to be fixed manually, that is not
> normal.

Well, I guess the fsck_y_enable knob acknowledges the fact that there are more
unexpected things happening than there should be (and FWIW, that knob works
fine in getting fsck to finish even despite those inconsistencies - I can't
really remember the last time even fsck -y bailed out on something).

--
    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org