ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out - fixed yet?

From: Dick Davies <rasputnik_at_hellooperator.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:14:08 +0000
I finally got the DVD/CDRW drive in my laptop RMAed.

Fitted the new one and said 'oh, yeah - now I remember'...
FreeBSD (releng5 from about 6 weeks back) gets as far as

ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out

then locks - I have to pull the battery to reboot into winxp
- now I'm trapped.

I saw a thread on this back in October, did it ever get fixed?
I don't mind pulling the drive to get in if need be, but is
there anyway of (for example) disabling ata1* from the loader
prompt?

--
Blackmail's such an ugly word. I prefer extortion.
	The x makes it sound cool. - Bender