Re: serious networking (em) performance (ggate and NFS) problem

From: David G. Lawrence <dg_at_dglawrence.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:52:10 -0800
> >>tests.  With the re driver, no change except placing a 100BT setup with
> >>no packet loss to a gigE setup (both linksys switches) will cause
> >>serious packet loss at 20Mbps data rates.  I have discovered the only
> >>way to get good performance with no packet loss was to
> >>
> >>1) Remove interrupt moderation
> >>2) defrag each mbuf that comes in to the driver.
> >
> >Sounds like you're bumping into a queue limit that is made worse by
> >interrupting less frequently, resulting in bursts of packets that are
> >relatively large, rather than a trickle of packets at a higher rate.
> >Perhaps a limit on the number of outstanding descriptors in the driver or
> >hardware and/or a limit in the netisr/ifqueue queue depth.  You might try
> >changing the default IFQ_MAXLEN from 50 to 128 to increase the size of the
> >ifnet and netisr queues.  You could also try setting net.isr.enable=1 to
> >enable direct dispatch, which in the in-bound direction would reduce the
> >number of context switches and queueing.  It sounds like the device driver
> >has a limit of 256 receive and transmit descriptors, which one supposes is
> >probably derived from the hardware limit, but I have no documentation on
> >hand so can't confirm that.
> >
> >It would be interesting on the send and receive sides to inspect the
> >counters for drops at various points in the network stack; i.e., are we
> >dropping packets at the ifq handoff because we're overfilling the
> >descriptors in the driver, are packets dropped on the inbound path going
> >into the netisr due to over-filling before the netisr is scheduled, etc.
> >And, it's probably interesting to look at stats on filling the socket
> >buffers for the same reason: if bursts of packets come up the stack, the
> >socket buffers could well be being over-filled before the user thread can
> >run.
>
> I think it's the tcp_output() path that overflows the transmit side of
> the card.  I take that from the better numbers when he defrags the packets.
> Once I catch up with my mails I start to put up the code I wrote over the
> last two weeks. :-)  You can call me Mr. TCP now. ;-)

   He was doing his test with NFS over TCP, right? ...That would be a single
connection, so how is it possible to 'overflow the transmit side of the
card'? The TCP window size will prevent more than 64KB to be outstanding.
Assuming standard size ethernet frames, that would be a maximum of 45 packets
in-flight at any time (65536/1460=45), well below the 256 available transmit
descriptors.
   It is also worth pointing out that 45 full-size packets is 540us at
gig-e speeds. Even when you add up typical switch latencies and interrupt
overhead and coalesing on both sides, it's hard to imagine that the window
size (bandwidth * delay) would be a significant limiting factor across a
gig-e LAN.
   I too am seeing low NFS performance (both TCP and UDP) with non-SMP
5.3, but on the same systems I can measure raw TCP performance (using
ttcp) of >850Mbps. It looks to me like there is something wrong with
NFS, perhaps caused by delays with scheduling nfsd?

-DG

David G. Lawrence
President
Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com - (866) 399 8500
TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com - (888) 346 7175
The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Pave the road of life with opportunities.