Re: Getting devfs to recognize a hotplugged fd0

From: Patrick Bowen <pbowen25_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:20:25 -0600
Ed Schouten wrote:

>Hello Patrick,
>
>Patrick Bowen wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to learn how to get devfs to create an fd0 enty in /dev
>>automatically when I plug a floppy drive into the serial port of a
>>running Dell D600 laptop running 6.0 current.
>>

>Are you sure that's possible at all? You know the serial port isn't
>plug-and-play? How can the operating system tell that there is something on
>the serial port at all? :)

Ed;

No, I'm not sure. But, in 4.10, with /dev already populated with an
entry for fd0, I could plug the floppy into a running machine and then
mount it, no problem. So I'm thinking that if can either create an entry
for /dev/fd0 during or shortly after boot time, or get devfs to rescan
for devices, then it should work on -current also. I occurs to me that
rescanning might wreak havoc with operations already using other
devices, like a disk write or something, so the first option may be
preferable.

This is not a critical issue, but falls more in the category of "Gee, I
wonder if i can (fill-in-the-blank)" sort of thing.

BTW, thanks for your reply...

Patrick