Re: fsck shortcomings

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:15:22 -0700
Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> I recently had a filesystem go bad on me in such a way that it was
> recognized way bigger than it actually was, causing fsck to fail while
> trying to allocate and equally astronomic amount of memory (and my
> machine already had 1 Gig of mem + 2 Gig swap available).
> I just newfs'd and I'm now in the process of restoring data, however, I
> googled a bit on this and it seems that this kind of fs corruption is
> occurring quite often, in particular due to power failures.

Yes, very troubling.  You said that the alternate superblocks didn't
help?

> Is there really no way that fsck could be made smarter about dealing
> with seemingly huge filesystems? Also, what kind of memory would be
> required to fsck a _real_ 11TB filesystem?

More than you can address in 32 bits.  Reducing the RAM footprint of
fsck_ufs is something that desperately needs to be done, especially
since it's now easy to trash crashdumps that are saved in swap because
fsck is consuming so much memory.

Scott