Re: GEOM: gpt partitions on a gmirror array possible?

From: Chris Hedley <cbh-freebsd-current_at_groups.chrishedley.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:37:52 +0000 (GMT)
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 02:38:25PM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
>>
>> It is because GEOM_GPT class only allow to create GPT labels on rank#1
>> providers (i.e. disks). I'm not sure why we have this hack, maybe marcel_at_
>> knows something more (cc'ed).
>
> It's there, because it was there for the MBR class when I used that
> class as a blueprint for implementing GPT support. Since GPT is not
> allowed within an MBR slice, or within a GPT partition (no nesting),
> not to mention all the non-native partitioning schemes that GEOM
> supports, that test made sure we only tasted GPT partitions on the
> one kind of providers that existed besides slicers: disks.
>
> I guess a change like geom_mbr.c:1.57 is in order, or a more to-the-
> point test for rejecting GPT on MBR or GPT on GPT.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys.  While the great and good are
considering it, I may in the meantime throw caution to the wind and see if
I can make some appropriately ad hoc changes to my own system.  Any
suggestions before I start butchering the file in question?  Maybe since I
no longer need more than 7 partitions per logical volume I should go back
to using bsdlabel for the time being, although that feels too much like
taking the easy way out.  :)

Chris.