HEADS-UP: Library versions have been bumped

From: Ken Smith <kensmith_at_cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 11:49:35 -0400
> kensmith    2004-10-01 15:38:07 UTC
>
>   FreeBSD src repository
>
>   Modified files:
>     .                    UPDATING
>     gnu/lib/libreadline  Makefile.inc
>     lib/libopie          Makefile
>     lib/libpcap          Makefile
>     lib/msun             Makefile
>   Log:
>   Bump the library version numbers for the following libraries:
>
>           /lib/{libm,libreadline}
>           /usr/lib/{libhistory,libopie,libpcap}
>
>   in preparation for doing the same thing to RELENG_5.  HUGE amounts of
>   help for determining what to bump provided by kris.
>
>   Discussed on:   freebsd-current
>   Approved by:    re (not required for commit but something like this should be)
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.367     +15 -0     src/UPDATING
>   1.10      +1 -1      src/gnu/lib/libreadline/Makefile.inc
>   1.19      +1 -1      src/lib/libopie/Makefile
>   1.34      +1 -1      src/lib/libpcap/Makefile
>   1.52      +1 -0      src/lib/msun/Makefile

The specific list of library version number bumps is this (also available
in UPDATING):

    /lib/libm.so.2 -> libm.so.3
    /lib/libreadline.so.4 -> libreadline.so.5
    /usr/lib/libhistory.so.4 -> libhistory.so.5
    /usr/lib/libopie.so.2 -> libopie.so.3
    /usr/lib/libpcap.so.2 -> libpcap.so.3

We specifically did not arrange for anything to remove the old
versions of the libraries - that is something best left to you folks
to determine when you want it done.  At the point the old libraries
are removed any ports or other programs you have compiled that are not
part of the base system will break.  They will need to be recompiled
to pick up references to the new library versions.  But it is best if
these libraries get removed at some point if you expect to be running
4.X executables and want to pick up the 4.10 libraries from compat
(which are not there yet but will be soon).  Use your judgement on
when to remove the old libraries.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith_at_cse.buffalo.edu