Re: Bug in #! processing

From: Ryan Sommers <ryans_at_gamersimpact.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 03:39:32 -0500
David G. Lawrence wrote:

>>The following patch changes the check for end of line, so that a comment
>>on the first line must be preceded by white space (' ' or '\t').
>>

>   Personally, I'm thinking that all of the support for a "comment" on
>the interpreter line is bogus and it would be better to back out rev
>1.21 rather than add even more complicated code to work around all of
>the problems that it causes.
>
>-DG

I tend to agree. I don't really see adding comments on the first line as
being all that necessary or useful of a feature personally. However, as
someone mentioned this has been in for almost 5 years and it's equally
bad to break a feature some might have come to rely on.

I'm not sure I like adding a sysctl for something as trivial as this
either, something along the lines of kernel bloat. But if that's the
best solution to incrementally back this out then I guess it has to be.
Perhaps this is something that should be taken to arch_at_ for further
discussion.

--
Ryan Sommers
ryans_at_gamersimpact.com