Re: Conclusion of thread "Deadlocks with recent SMP current"?

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 17:45:18 -0400
At 10:49 PM +0200 10/2/04, Sascha Schumann wrote:
>>Yes, this is believed to have been resolved in 5.3.
>
>     Good to hear.

Many issues have been resolved in the 5.x branch, especially in
the last month or so.  So, I would trust 5.3-beta7 (which should
be appearing this weekend, I think) much more than 5.2.1.

>     I would rather downgrade to 5.1 (because I know it works
>     reliably on this piece of equipment), but unfortunately,
>     somewhere during "make installworld", the install binary
>     starts to segfault.

We don't really support "compiling into a previous version".  I can
understand if you wanted to stick with 5.1, but if you are starting
at 5.2.1 then you're probably going to have to install from the
original 5.1 CD's.  You are bound to run into problems trying to
do build and install a 5.1 world from a 5.2 world, and we are not
going to fix those problems because at least some of those fixes
would have to be *in* the 5.1-world, and there is no way we are
going to spend time on that instead of 5.3-(soon-to-be-)stable.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org