5.3-BETA5 AMD64 Python problems

From: Matt Hamilton <matth_at_netsight.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 07:41:08 +0100
Hi All,
   We have just bought ourselves an AMD64 machine (HP DL145) and I have
put 5.3-BETA5 on it.  This is our first foray into 5.x, so far we have
kept all our servers on 4.x.  The server is meant to be a Zope server,
but I am having trouble with python.

Python 2.3.4 as built from ports cannot pass its own unit tests on this
platform, specifically it fails test_re.py in about the 4th test
(something to do with catching infinite recursion on a regular
expression).  The test just core dumps (as does trying to start Zope).
I thought this was the well known 'FreeBSD has a tiny pthread stack
size' issue.  This is fixed in recent pythons (and the ports) by calling
pthread_setstacksize to increase the stack to 1MB.

I've tried this on 5.3-BETA5/AMD64, but to no avail.  If I compile
python *without* thread support, then the unit test passes.  So I think
it is related to threads.  I've not managed to keep my finger on the
-current development pulse, but wasn't threads re-written in 5.x?  Or
was it just the scheduler (I am using whichever scheduler 5.3-BETA5 uses
by default).

I've even tried raising the stack size to 64MB in python, but still it
core dumps.

Anyone else using python on 5.x?  Can you test it passes its regex unit
tests?  As currently I'm unsure if the problem is related to:

1) AMD64 support
2) 5.x's new threads and/or scheduler
3) something else :)

I'm pretty sure I've heard of people running Zope on 5.1 (I'm guessing
it was i386) so I'm thinking it is a 64-bit issue.

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton                                       matth_at_netsight.co.uk
Netsight Internet Solutions, Ltd.        Business Vision on the Internet