Re: ATA problems

From: Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu_at_people.tecnik93.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 17:17:58 +0300
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 14:40:00 +0200
Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk> wrote:

 [ ... ]

> > I am using ATAIDLE (/usr/ports/sysutils/ataidle) with the mounted disks
> > if this matters…
>
> Hmm, you will get a timeout on the disks if they spun down since they'll
> have to get wacked to come back to life.
> At any rate the number of problem reports on using ataidle in this setup
> is increasing so my standpoint of it being a bad idea and keeping it out
> of ATA as such seems to hold ;)

 Hmm, I have a different experience: Since I´ve set with ataidle the AAC
to the  ¨Vendor Recommended" I don´t get hangs because of recalibration;
it is true that there where rare before.

Model:                  Maxtor 6Y120L0
Serial:                 Y32WEPTE
Firmware Rev:           YAR41BW0
ATA revision:           ATA-7

Model:                  WDC WD1600JB-00EVA0
Serial:                 WD-WCAEK1298992
Firmware Rev:           15.05R15
ATA revision:           ATA-6

--