Re: FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7 available

From: Jose M Rodriguez <josemi_at_freebsd.jazztel.es>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 21:24:37 +0200
El Lunes, 4 de Octubre de 2004 19:09, Andre Guibert de Bruet escribió:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> > El Lunes, 4 de Octubre de 2004 16:10, Scott Long escribió:
> >> The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team is proud to announce the
> >> availability of FreeBSD 5.3-BETA7.  This is the seventh and final
> >> BETA of the 5.3 release cycle.  It is intended for early adopters
> >> and those wishing to help find and/or fix bugs.  The 5.3 release
> >> cycle will follow on next with an RC1 release candidate unless
> >> significant show- stopper bugs are found.  The schedule can be
> >> found at http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/schedule.html.  Be
> >> sure to check the "Known Issues" below as there are known problems
> >> that are still being worked on at this time.
> >>
> >> IMPORTANT:
> >> BIND 9.3.0 has replaced BIND 8.x as the default name server.
> >
> > At last here, BETA7 come with a populated /var/named.
>
> <snip>
>
> named is now chroot()ed to /var/named after it parses the command
> line but before it reads the config file. As such, it is necessary to
> have this directory structure. You can override its location with the
> "named_chrootdir" rc.conf variable or by using -t at the command line
> if you invoke named using your own scripts.

I know that, I have several bind9/FreeBSD4 dns servers running.  Also I
test BETA6/BETA7 for dns server with good results.

But I'm afraid you can't imagine how many FreeBSD system run right now
with a well configured /var/named.

a populated /var/named is a serious thread against binary updates.

I'll prefer that /etc/rc.d/maned populate it when needed or other
dirname for the chroot.

> In our test environment, we migrated a good chunk of the domains that
> we host on BIND8 to BIND9 with minimal work. The instructions listed
> in UPDATING did the trick!

Yes. It's a good work. I don't have any objections to that.
It's only that /var/named has strong meanings on BSD systems.

> Regards,
>
> | Andre Guibert de Bruet | Enterprise Software Consultant >
> | Silicon Landmark, LLC. | http://siliconlandmark.com/    >

thanks,
--
  josemi