Re: persisting ATA problems

From: Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 22:27:29 +0200
Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:46:50 +0200
> Søren Schmidt <sos_at_DeepCore.dk> wrote:
>
>  [ ... ]
>

>>>Today I had the following in log:
>>>
>>>ad0: WARNING - WRITE_DMA interrupt was seen but timeout fired LBA=637375
>>>
>>>i don`t know exactly what does it mean and if data was written or not..
>>>can anybody explain it?
>>
>>It just means that the data has hit the disk but the taskqueue that
>>should return data to the system hasn't yet. This is a warning ...
>
> I would suggest an entry in the FAQ explaining the *_DMA errors; Søren,
> I can do the SGML formatting if you send me some text.

First of, they are not just about _DMA, and there isn't much to explain.

There are two types:

WARNINGS:
just some noise about things that are not as expected, but could be
fixed or otherwise worked around, but not yet a:

FAILURE:
operation failed, uncorrectable error.

That is the general meaning of those two words where I come from...

--

-Søren